Friday, June 21, 2013

Back in the Saddle - With Paleo Recipes

Y'all.

I am having such a hard time getting back in the swing of things since our return from beautiful Aspen.

Two weeks with not a schedule, calendar, or to-do list in sight can really do a number on your motivation when that two weeks is up.

So I'm taking the easy way out today and giving you a couple of great recipes that are perfect for the hot summer.

First up - Almond Crusted Fish Sliders.

 
photo courtesy of The Urban Poser 

I made these Wednesday night and my entire family gobbled them up.  Even my picky 16 year old who has yet to jump on the paleo bandwagon.  They are that good.

Mind if I offer you a helpful hint that might make things a little easier for you?

I would make this meal in steps, just so things are nice and relaxed right up to supper time.  I did everything in the hour before the family was ready to eat and it was little hectic.  

Bake the fish early in the day.  Make the slider mixture while the fish is baking, then add cooked fish to slider mix, whirl up in the food processor, make your sliders, then put everything in the fridge.  Closer to supper time, take out the sliders, do the dipping/breading steps and fry them up.  Stick the sliders in the oven until you're ready to serve.  If you do this, you'll be less stressed and your kitchen won't look like a bomb went off, like mine did.

Rather than slider style, I served mine stacked.  I laid some large lettuce leaves on a plate, set a fish patty on top, added some sliced tomatoes, then some shredded cabbage, and drizzled homemade tartar sauce over the whole thing.

Gracious.

On the side - Pineapple Cole Slaw.

Now, I am a cole slaw hater.  Drippy, mayonnaise-y, mushy, yucky cole slaw.  I have never liked it.
Until I married Ryan and my mother-in-law served it.  Her version is the only cole slaw I will eat.  Seriously.  I encourage you to give it a try, even if you're a self-proclaimed hater of cole slaw.  You just might like it.  Also, this just might not be paleo.  Like, not in the least.  Oh well.

For dessert - The Real Deal Chocolate Chip Cookies.


These are paleo and the best CCC recipe I've found yet.  And believe me, I am trying them all!  Reagan passed these up in favor of eating ready made cookie dough from the store but that's her loss.

And as a special bonus because I love all of you so much - Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Bars would be a nice Saturday morning treat for the family.

 lunapic_136624935020072_6
photo courtesy of Real Sustenance

These paleo bars are almost too pretty to eat.  They are fresh and light tasting with just the right amount of sweetness.

Click on the links below to get the recipes:

Almond Crusted Fish Sliders
Homemade Tartar Sauce
The Real Deal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Bars

Pineapple Cole Slaw

1 large package coleslaw mix
1 can pineapple chunks, drained
1/2 package mini marshmallows
mayonnaise
salt & pepper to taste

Combine coleslaw, pineapple chunks, and marshmallows in a large bowl.  Add enough mayonnaise to make a dressing - go lightly here!  You can always add more later.  The combination of the pineapple and mayo makes the dressing.  The longer this sits, the more the flavors meld together.  YUM.

There.  Now you don't have to waste any time trying to decide what to cook this weekend.  I just did everything for you.  You are very welcome.

Have a lovely weekend, dearies!


2 comments:

  1. Yours is one blessed family--to have such a cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all looks and sounds AMAZING! I really should give your recipies a try! Oh well, I'lladd this to my bookmarks in the hopes that I'll get around to it.

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...