Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What I Learned While I Was Sick

So I got the flu.

And I thought I was going to die.

I've never had the flu.  Like, in my whole life.

I rarely even get sick.

In fact, I'm so healthy, that sometimes, I secretly wish that a doctor would tell me I need bed rest for a couple days, you know, just for a little cold or something.  Just enough bed rest so I can maybe read a book or two, browse Pinterest, and catch up on some naps. 

Well, I got my bed rest.

And here's a few things I discovered during those sporadic lucid moments I had over the course of about five days in bed:

1.  My husband is awesome.  Lily even got sick (thankfully, not with flu) for a portion of that time and I could do nothing to help.  All by himself, he took her to doctor appointments, kept laundry going, loaded and unloaded the dishwasher, kept Lily hydrated and medicated around the clock, served me ice cream and hot tea, and was just generally an all-around incredible guy.

Dad Doing Chores 287x300 Jezebel Tells Moms that Stay at Home Dads Are...Okay?

2.  My teenager can do more than I think she can.  I need to give her more opportunities to demonstrate just how capable she is.  Of course, she will think this just means more work for her around the house and it probably does, but by golly, she's pretty dog-gone good at it.


3.  Be careful what you wish for.  That bed rest I secretly day dreamed about?  The one with books and naps and Pinterest?  My eyes were so swollen, I could barely see my feet at the end of the bed, let alone read a book or use my computer for any length of time.  I totally lost my voice.  So no chatting on the phone.  You know what I got?  Bed. Rest.  As in, lay in the bed and rest.  And that is all.

4.  Snuggling up with Lily, getting some good hugs and kisses, listening to those same Backyardigans songs in every language known to man over and over again... I miss those things.  That girl is something else and I don't like being separated from her.

5.  No matter how old you are, it's still good to have your Mom when you're sick.  Mine just happened to be in town a few days after the germs invaded our home.  She made soup and cornbread and did laundry and dishes.  She went to the grocery store twice.  She vacuumed my bedroom.  Yes, it's good to have your Mom around.  I mean, I don't want to share my germs with just anyone.

6.  Mothers-in-law aren't too shabby, either.  Mine came over bearing soup.  And a bracelet. Not a bad deal.

7.  A good home remedy for soothing a sore throat?  1 cup hot water, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 1/2 tbsp honey.  Feels really good on the way down the hatch.  Of course, this is not enough to conquer the raging sore throat that most people will have for 2 or 3 days of the actual flu. Those days? Codeine is your throat's best friend. 


8.  Whoever invented kleenex with lotion should be a gazillionaire.  A deserving gazillionaire.

Stay healthy out there, my friends!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you're better . . . take it slow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Lana -- you are so blessed to have such a wonderful family. Hope to see you up and about with new crafts, recipes and pins soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of those times I bet you had a camera in every room just to see all the "fun" your family had helping you out. LOL! So glad you are feeling somewhat better. I am really glad your family "pitched in" to help out and for you to not worry about stuff getting done...it got done didn't it?! Bless your mom and mother-in-law! Yes a girl needs her mom (and mother-in-law) when she is sick as you have been... even when she is older with a family of her own. You have a great family! Hope you are up and around soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...