Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Food, Glorious Food

Oh my.  

If you love tomatoes, then you're going to love me for this.

I have this friend, Susie.  You can meet her if you click right here.

She's a bit of a local celebrity around Austin - known as "the good news girl".

Two things we have in common:

We are both married to pastors and we both love good food.

So let me ask you a question:

Does this look like good food to you?


Well, let me assure you, it is good food.

This is Susie's Margarita Pizza.

I first made it when we were in Aspen.  Then I made it again when we got home.  Then I ate the leftovers for lunch the next day.  So that means I've eaten this yummy deliciousness three times in the past month.  And I already want it again.

And you're going to want it, too.

So without further ado, here's the recipe:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Margarita Topping:

In a bowl, combine 4-5 diced fresh tomatoes (or you can use a couple pints of sliced cherry tomatoes - that's what I did), 3 minced garlic cloves, 4 tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp sea salt, and 6-7 thinly sliced basil leaves (I increased the basil because we love it so much).  Let sit at least 30 minutes.  You can make this a day ahead and refrigerate - just be sure to bring to room temperature before using on pizza.

Pizza Crust:

OK - here's where Susie and I differ.  She makes her own crust.  I cheat and do one of several options - buy refrigerated pizza crust dough at Whole Foods, buy ready baked homemade pizza crust from my grocery store's bakery, or in total laziness, I buy the Pillsbury refrigerated pizza crust in the can.

In my defense, I'm not against homemade crust.  It's just that no one in my family really cares that much so it's an easy shortcut for me.  If you insist on making your own crust, click here for Susie's recipe.

Assembly:

Roll out dough of your choice and bake for no more than 8 minutes.  Take crust out of oven and cover with slices of mozzarella cheese, usually about 8 or so slices.  Stick back in oven just until cheese starts to get melty.  Then take back out of oven.  Using a slotted spoon, gently sprinkle tomato topping all over the top.  Place back in oven for no more than 5 minutes.

Basically, you want the crust to be done to your personal preference but not have the tomatoes get all wrinkly and roasty-like.  Know what I mean?

Really.  You should make some tonight.  I'm not even kidding.  Your taste buds will thank Susie.

And since we're talking food today, let me give you a couple links to some Pinterest recipes that are winners in my house.  Plus one loser so you can avoid making it yourself.

Winners:

* I did make my own enchilada sauce rather than using that nasty canned stuff *

* Everyone in my house loves this recipe *

* quick and easy-peasy *

* please do not make this if you don't have ice cream & milk at the ready *

* another recipe demanding ice cream & milk *

Loser:

* should've known when it said "without tons of sugar and butter"! *

OK - so now you must be asking yourself, "What does any of this have to do with raising special needs kids???"

And my reply is, "Absolutely nothing."

But hey.  We've all gotta eat, right?  

See you Friday!



4 comments:

  1. hey, thanks for the recipes. i just shared some of ours with you -- check your e-mail, m'am.

    -jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...that looks gorgeous! My boy loves margarita pizza but only with squished tomatoes! Which is a pity since he's growing his own tomatoes this year. More for me so!

    I'm going to favourite this post for future reference, some nice recipies there.

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only I knew how to cook!... anywho, proud of you for stepping away from special needs for a moment and sharing something you obviously have a heart for. Good stuff, my friend - and btw, I'm free for dinner any night you want to cook! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I just gained 10 pounds from even thinking about those recipes! So the cake batter cookies are good, huh? I keep seeing them on Pinterest and wondering.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...