Monday, November 14, 2011

It's Catching On!

I've never really been one to give my children nicknames.

In fact, for the first five years of her life, I insisted on calling my oldest daughter by her full name, Ryley Anne, and I wanted everyone else to as well.  

That lasted until she started school.  First graders aren't really big on long names.

So when Lily was born, I never really thought about a nickname for her.  Her name was Lily and that's what we would call her.  End of story.

But we have some good friends who call their own children by various nicknames.  And since we spend quite a bit of time together, my daughters soon had a few nicknames of their own, courtesy of our friends.

And Lily was no exception.

For whatever reason that no one can now remember, Lily became Lily Bird, also courtesy of our friends.

And it stuck.

I found myself calling her Lily Bird, along with some minor variations on the theme:  Bird, the Bird, Birdie.

Then I started noticing other people calling her Lily Bird.

But yesterday, when I picked Lily up from church, I got the final confirmation that the nickname is now official.


When teachers are writing your nickname on your belongings, it's no longer just a nickname.

It's simply who you are.

Lily Bird.  I like it.


6 comments:

  1. Too cute!! It's definitely official...

    My friend Jessica started calling my son "Tootles" and it's stuck with everyone - including him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Well at least this nickname "fits" her. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it stuck because it's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. I like how it transformed to her nickname today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how some nicknames just say so much about who you really are... Lily's of course, being no exception!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Lily Bird is precious!
    It's always funny how nicknames turn into variations of other nicknames. We started calling Cameron, Cambot which then just turned into Bot. We call him that so much that he actually responds to it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...