Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It Occurred To Me...

As I was cooking supper yesterday, I thought that some of you might be interested in knowing what we can eat when we're doing the GFCF diet.

Especially any readers who are in the same boat.

So from today on, at the end of each post, there'll be a little caption and our daily menu for your reading pleasure.  And for those of you not at all interested, you can just skip right over it.

I'd like to file a couple of disclaimers, though.

One, there are so many food sites on the web and I don't really want this to turn into a recipe blog.  So I'm just going to list the menu.  Because really good food can be a challenge on this diet, if something is especially delicious, I'll make a note of it.  And if you'd like the recipe, just leave a comment and I'll post it for you.

Two, keep in mind that just because I'm serving something doesn't mean that everyone is eating it.  Lily is quite a picky eater.  Heck, so is Reagan.  So I keep offering different foods.  One day, Lily loves green beans.  The next day, they're the most disgusting thing on planet earth.  I just never know so I just keep trying.

Three, you might notice that some days are more "nutritionally balanced" than others.  That is why I thank the good Lord for vitamins.  I've got enough pressure trying to fix the right foods on this diet.  I can't ensure that all of us are getting the appropriate servings of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.  I'm only human.... and sometimes that means popcorn for supper!

Four, the lunch items that show up on the menu will be what Lily is eating which means they are gluten  and casein free. For the rest of the family, lunch is a free-for-all and doesn't follow GFCF restrictions.

And finally, I have a small confession to make.  I'm a Weight Watchers lifetime member so I track what I eat and count my points.  The GFCF diet doesn't necessarily lend itself to eating in the way I would choose.  Or at least, it takes way too much time and math to figure out the point values of many of these wacky ingredients.  So I watch my portion sizes and don't eat the desserts.

Now, I don't want to sound like I don't eat dessert at all.

Because I do.

In fact, sometimes I skip supper in order to eat dessert.

It's good to be the mom.

I just make my own dessert that's Weight Watchers friendly (read "loaded with chocolate") and eat it when Lily's asleep.  I think the sneakiness factor brings out the flavor of the chocolate.

That's it.  If you're still reading, you've reached the end of the fine print disclaimers.

Happy Wednesday!


What Do You Eat in a GFCF House???

Breakfast:  
Waffles*

Lunch:
So Delicious brand coconut milk yogurt - vanilla flavor
Boiled Egg
1 Kinnikinnick brand cinnamon sugar donut

Supper:
Roast
Rice & Gravy*
Green Beans

Dessert:
Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies*

*especially delicious items


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...