Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Jabberwocky

"'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe."
Lewis Carroll, 1872

No, I haven't started speaking another language.

Though I don't believe this poem qualifies as another language - just fun gibberish.

But this poem did come to my mind in the middle of last night.  Around 2 AM to be precise.

Lily has been making a larger variety of sounds the last couple of days.  We've seen moments like this before so we've learned the hard way not to get our hopes up too much.  This just seems to be something that comes and goes but always leaves us with the feeling that she WILL talk one day.

So anyway, Lily wakes up around 2 AM last night.  I do the usual check of the diaper, offer a drink; that kind of thing.

But she's having none of it.

She wants to talk.  And she wants me to listen.  And offer the occasional appropriate feedback - "uh-huh", "is that right?", "you don't say!" and that kind of thing.

So talk we did.

For about two hours.

We walked and ran around the house.  We sat at the table.  We sat on the floor.  She sat on me.

About 4 AM, I deposited her back in her bed with a favorite music toy that she must have with her to fall asleep.  She dozed off and that was that.

While I don't really want to make a habit of two hour conversations in the middle of the night, when you've waited as long as we have to get some new gibberish from your baby girl, sleep can wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...