Sunday, November 7, 2010

Be the Change

So I spent most all of my Saturday at church for the Tour of Hope Conference.  And in a word, it was amazing!

I learned so many practical ways that I could make a difference in the world and I'm so excited to try some new things.

My favorite quote of the day -

"Let us be the ones who say we do not accept that a child dies every three seconds simply because he does not have the drugs you and I have.  Let us be the ones to say we are not satisfied that your place of birth determines your right to life.  Let us be outraged.  Let us be loud.  Let us be bold."

And who said these inspiring words?

Brad Pitt.

Not who you expected, right?

Me neither.

insert sidenote here:  No, Brad Pitt was not at the conference, though attendance probably would've soared through the roof if he had been present.  His quote was read by Noel Brewer Yeatts, the founder of Tour of Hope.

While I don't agree with 99.9% of anything Brad Pitt says, this I do.

Those of you familiar with the Austin/Guatemala Project know that we have adopted a Guatemalan village called Pueblo Modelo.  And for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, check out www.austinguatemala.com and get on board!

I visited this past August, my first ever mission trip at the age of 41.  And let me tell you, God worked a miracle in my heart!  I am in love with Guatemala and plan to spend much of my time, talent and treasure investing in those wonderful people.

We're in the process of getting a child sponsorship program up and running where you can actually sponsor a child from Pueblo Modelo.  And if you go on any of the trips (of which there are 4 every year), you can actually meet your child face to face!  And through others going, you'll be able to keep up with your child on a regular basis.

I am so excited!

I could go on and on but I'll just close with this.

If you want to get involved but just don't know what to do, hear this.

Do not look at the masses of hurting, poor, hungry people and allow yourself to get overwhelmed. Focus on one person.  While you may not be able to change a nation, you can change the life of one person.  And that my friends, is a big dadgum deal.

You can do this.  Get started.  Reach out.  Focus on one person.  Then stand back and watch God work a miracle in you and through you.

You will never be the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...